CEO Letter: Ken Murphy Discusses Hurricane Harvey
Earlier today, Mattress Firm President and CEO Ken Murphy sent the following letter regarding the effects of Hurricane Harvey to all Mattress Firm employees.
To my Mattress Firm family,
As you know, Houston has been Mattress Firm’s hometown since we started our business more than 30 years ago – we’re so proud to call this wonderful city home and grateful for the decades of support that this community has given us.
As I write these words, Houston and the surrounding areas are dealing with the effects of Hurricane Harvey, and we don’t yet know exactly what is going to happen in the aftermath. But what we can say with certainty is that regardless of what happens, we will be here for each other– especially for the more than 950 of us who live in affected areas – and for our community. We are staying in close contact with our team in the areas where Harvey has hit hard and doing what we can to help. We’ve heard devastating accounts of lost homes and cars from our team, and we are all witnessing the widespread devastation on the national news.
Watching these reports, my heart breaks for all those who are currently suffering. But, sprinkled throughout this unprecedented tragedy are displays of resilience and strength that define our community. I’m proud of the hundreds and thousands of Houstonians who are working tirelessly alongside our world-class first responders to help their neighbors during this difficult time.
The situation on the ground is changing quickly, but I want each of you to know what we are doing right now to support our friends and co-workers.
- Members of our HR team and other volunteers are personally calling every one of our team members in the impacted areas to find out if they and their families are okay, and to ask how we can help them.
- We started an employee assistance fund and put in the first $25,000. We know so many of you want to help and you can do that by donating to the fund to help your colleagues recover and rebuild. To increase the impact of your generosity, Mattress Firm will match donations that are made up to $100,000. Click here to donate.
- We’ve enhanced our PTO donation program to give those affected extra time to take care of their families and their homes.
- For our team members who work at stores and offices that are closed due to weather, we’ve authorized disaster pay to ensure that they won’t face additional financial hardships.
But we’re not going to stop there. We’re also helping our neighbors, customers and community who have been affected by this disaster, just as we have done in previous years.
- We are donating $1 million in products to those in need. Plus, a percentage of every purchase made in any of our 3500+ stores tomorrow through Tuesday, Sept. 5 will be donated to provide up to an additional $1 million of pillows, blankets and mattresses for people who have lost their homes and have to rebuild.
- Our stores are equipped to accept monetary donations that will go to the American Red Cross Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund. Donations can also be made online.
- We are distributing disaster relief kits (that include a pillow, blanket and towel) to shelters across the city.
- Our stores in Austin, College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Harker Heights, Killeen, San Antonio, and Temple will serve as collection centers where people can bring much-needed supplies for displaced victims. We will work to get these items back to Houston, as well as to those who will be taking temporary shelter in North Texas. As the needs become more clear, stores in other markets could also become donation centers.
In the coming days and weeks, we will need help from each of you in order to do what we need to do to support our team and our community. Please consider donating to the employee assistance fund and the PTO drive, or the Red Cross. Also, reach out to those people that you know who live in areas that have been flooded with encouragement and kindness.
I know that we will do whatever it takes to rise and meet this challenge, and I thank each of you in advance for your support as we work to rebuild. On behalf of all of us, I also want to thank you for all the encouraging messages that we’ve received from around the country. It means a lot to us to have the support of so many people during this difficult time.
Ken Murphy, President and CEO