Five Shows Worth Losing Sleep Over This Summer
Have you been at a loss for water cooler talk ever since Claire and Frank Underwood last stood under the Presidential Seal?
Have no fear! With the start of summer comes something even more anticipated than a day at the beach: the return of your favorite shows.
After some tough goodbyes this spring, the timing couldn’t be better. From bidding a final farewell to Hannah Horvath and her cohort of Girls, to enduring restless nights after the finale of Scandal, the Mattress Firm team is ready for a fresh start.
Not sure where to begin? Don’t sweat it – Mattress Firm is here with our reviews and feedback of what’s worth staying in for this summer.
(WARNING: There are a few spoilers about previous seasons ahead!)
- The Bachelorette (May 22, 8 p.m., ABC) We fell in love with Rachel Lindsay when she scored a first impression rose on Nick Viall’s season of The Bachelor. Her confidence and snarky side-eye are back this month, when 31 men will compete for her attention as The Bachelorette. With potential suitors from Jonathan, a professional “tickle monster,” to Lucas, who also goes by “Whaboom,” this season is off to an interesting start. Will Rachel go home engaged or snag a ticket to Paradise? One thing’s for sure, Chris Harrison and Mattress Firm employees think it will be the most dramatic season yet.
- Bloodline (May 26, Netflix) This dark thriller chronicles The Rayburn family, who run an inn in the Florida Keys and try to keep their treasure trove of family secrets at bay. If it’s anything like the first two, the third (and final) season will be tough to turn off – so try not to cancel your Memorial Day Weekend plans. We promise that your Netflix account will be waiting for you when you get back. Our only complaint, Mattress Firm folks don’t want this show to end, for good.
- House of Cards (May 30, Netflix) You have a countdown on your phone, your work computer, and your nightstand table. Offices may as well close their doors on May 30, as HoC fans everywhere go into temporary isolation to catch the fifth season of this gripping Netflix series. The political drama chronicles maniacal President Frank Underwood (Kevin Spacey) as he and his wife lie, cheat and manipulate their way through Washington, D.C. Jump on your Mattress Firm mattress and binge watch this one, we know we will.
- Orange is the New Black (June 9, Netflix) After last season’s nail-biting cliffhanger, the most-watched original series on Netflix is finally back. We’ve been waiting for this ever since actress Danielle Brooks (“Taystee”) revealed that all 13 episodes of the new season will take place over the course of just three days. Season 5 is set to pick-up where the last season ended: with inmates of Litchfield prison holding guards’ hostage after the death of fan-favorite, Poussey. The Mattress Firm team loved Poussey, what a scam! Amirite?
- Game of Thrones (July 16, HBO) More than a year after the sixth season ended, the penultimate season of this dark fantasy is almost here, leaving fans everywhere scrambling to befriend anyone with an HBO account. This season will have just 7 episodes, but if previous seasons are any indication, they will be chock-full of power, betrayal and heartbreak. Not into the fantasy theme? Ed Sheeran is set to make his debut on the show this summer, so that’s reason enough for us to tune in.
After a day in the sun, there’s nothing better than pumping the AC and traveling from the cliffs of King’s Lane to the halls of the West Wing -- all from the comfort of your own bed. At Mattress Firm, that’s the kind of summer weekend we could get used to.
The Daily Dozers