As advocates for foster children nationwide, Mattress Firm strives to ensure that foster youth are given the tools they need to succeed.
In partnership with Simone Biles, D.J. Reader of the Houston Texans, the Ticket to Dream Foundation and EcoMedia, Mattress Firm hosted #Adulting101: Life Hacks for Living Your Boss Life to build awareness for the Mattress Firm Foster Kids program during National Foster Care Awareness Month. This event was geared specifically toward local foster youth who are aging out of the system and preparing to become adults.
On Saturday, May 5, 2018 at BEDQuarters in Houston, 40 volunteers from Mattress Firm and our event partners gathered to make this day a success.
The event featured several stations, each themed with different “life hacks” including:
- #BallinOnABudget: Staying on top of a budget is an important life skill. This station featured budgeting tips and hacks to conquer and keep track of your spending habits.
- #HealthIsYourWealth: Hosted by Simone and D.J., this station focused on the importance of the three wellness pillars – diet, exercise and sleep.
- #ResumeSlay: With job interviews just around the corner for the young adults who attended the event, this station focused on how to hack your resume and stand out among the crowd.
- #SauceItUp: A big part of adulthood is learning how to cook for yourself. This station featured grocery shopping and cooking hacks for making easy, weeknight meals.
- #GOALDigger: Success looks different to everyone. This station focused on creating “mood boards” from magazines of images that reflect success to the young adults.
We ended the day with sweet treats from Steel City Pops and remarks from Biles, Reader and Mattress Firm’s SVP of Communications and Customer Experience, Sunni Goodman. Attendees also scored totes filled with essential items for their first apartments, including $150 gift cards to Target for each of them to use for apartment or home needs.
Check out some of our favorite highlights from the event below.
About The Author
Sunni Goodman In her role as Vice President of Communications and Customer Experience for Mattress Firm, Sunni Goodman provides brand strategy and oversees communication for the nation’s largest specialty mattress retailer. Since joining the Mattress Firm team in 2007, Sunni has found that her passion lies in helping others find their best sleep and serving the community through the Mattress Firm Foster Kids program. Sunni graduated from Stephen F. Austin State University – where she was a setter for the Ladyjacks volleyball team – and received her M.A. in Advertising from the University of Texas at Austin. She lives in Houston with her husband Jason and is a proud mother to son Ruxin and daughter Remy.