Keep Your Mattress From Getting Dirty
Mattress Firm wants you to know how to keep your mattress from getting too dirty. When left unprotected, your mattress and pillows will act like sponges, accumulating all sorts of nasty elements over the thousands of nights you sleep. According to researchers, the weight of an unprotected pillow can increase by 10% due to dust mites and dead skin after just 2 years. If you think that's gross, let's take a look at what can be hiding in your mattress!
- Dust Mites. According to studies conducted by the Ohio State University, a standard unprotected mattress may house anywhere from 100,000 to 10 million mites. And then there is their waste. Aside from the fact that mites and their waste is gross and generally unsanitary, it is a powerful allergen. In fact, according to Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, dust mites are a leading cause of allergies in your home.
- Sweat. We all hate waking up in the middle of the night in a pool of sweat. Regardless of your gender, bedroom temperature, your health and other factors, we all sweat while sleeping. Your perspiration (which includes sodium) has to go somewhere, and while your sleeping that somewhere is your mattress. As we'll discuss in a minute, moisture can cause a whole host of problems when it contacts your bed, not only for your mattress but for your health.
- Accidents. While it's not something we like to discuss, urinary incontinence affects millions of American adults. Urine, which is loaded with salts, bodily waste and water can quickly absorb into your mattress. Even if you act quickly, the damage may be irreversible. An unprotected mattress can be difficult to dry, often maintaining internal moisture for prolonged periods. To make matters worse, urine can encourage the growth of mold and mildew, while also attracting mites and other parasites, like fleas and bed bugs.
- Pets. Be wary of sleeping with your pets. Not only do our furry friends carry around dirt and insects, but their dander, saliva and urine can exacerbate common problems when they penetrate an unprotected mattress. Your mattress and pillows can quickly become a comfortable home for pests like dust mites and bed bugs. So if you have a habit of allowing your cats or dogs sleep in your bed, you should know that without a mattress protector, you are also sending an open invitation to these not so welcome guests.
- Mold and Mildew. Warmth, humidity and moisture are the primary causes of mold and mildew growth in your home, including your mattress. Even the smallest traces of water can encourage the growth of these dangerous contaminants, which will not only contribute to the weight of your mattress but can cause serious health problems, such as allergies and asthma.
- Stains. Stains from foods and drinks are more than just displeasing to the eye. Spilled food and drinks can soak into an unprotected mattress quickly, only to accumulate and add to its unwanted weight. Like other sources of moisture, stains can also promote mold, mildew and parasites.
As you can see, by leaving your mattress unprotected, you are making yourself vulnerable to all kinds of contaminants, germs and other nasty elements that have no business impacting your life. Fortunately, protecting your mattress is easy! Products such as the AllerZip 6-Sided Waterproof Mattress Or Box Spring Encasement and the AllerZip Allergy, Dust Mite & Bed Bug Proof Pillow Covers, 2-Pack can keep your existing mattress and pillows protected from all the nasty problems we just listed. If you don't have a mattress protector, stop by one of the Mattress Firm locations in your area to get exactly what you need. Help your Mattress Firm mattress stay cleaner longer by protecting it and preventing it from growing its own dirty ecosystem beneath your sheets.