Moms are obsessed with sleep. The sleep you aren’t getting. The sleep you are about to sacrifice for your new baby. The sleep your tired pregnant body is desperately craving. I’m willing to bet that many moms-to-be have searched the Internet for answers to the million-dollar question, “How to sleep when you are pregnant?”
A New Mattress Could Be The Answer For Pregnant Moms
Your body is hard at work, and a good night sleep can be hard to come by. It’s a cruel truth of pregnancy. Just when you could or need the most sleep, you lay awake for hours. A new mattress can really help – whether it’s providing you with the right support or just giving your growing body some more space! For the best possible night sleep, we recommend placing your focus on a mattress that has memory foam in the top layer of the mattress.
When I was carrying my daughter, Remy – I had lower back pain and pressure points that affected the quality sleep I was getting. I swear I could feel my ligaments stretching. I found that choosing a memory foam mattress gave me a more comfortable and restful pregnancy experience. If you’re not sure what new mattress you should choose, try asking yourself these questions:
7 Questions To Ask To Find The Best Mattress For Pregnancy
- Am I currently sleeping well enough to get seven to eight hours of rest at night?
- Am I aching in specific places on my body while sleeping, or when I wake up?
- Do I have to get up at night a lot? (If you are or have been pregnant, the answer to this is most likely yes!)
- Would I like to feel supported as I sit or stand up from the edge of my mattress, or do I prefer having mattress edges that are flexible as I move on them?
- What positions does my spouse prefer to sleep in?
- Do I tend to feel cold or hot when sleeping?
- Do I or my spouse have any health related conditions that we need to take into consideration?
Make sure when discussing with your sales associate, to mention your thoughts behind these questions so they can help you narrow down the selection of mattresses and sleep accessories that are right for you and your spouse. Here are a few suggested mattresses, adjustable bases and mattress protectors based on my own experience.
A Few Mattress & Mattress Accessory Suggestions
- Soft mattresses provide a great sleep solution. Consider the Beautyrest Black Hybrid Gladney Plush mattress, with each coil’s tapered top moving as you move positions for consistent support.
- During pregnancy, your doctor might recommend dedicating a couple hours throughout the day toward sitting with your legs above your heart to stimulate proper blood flow. With adjustable beds, you can prop your legs up on the lower end of your mattress with the appropriate height for your body – and even adjust the top of your mattress so you can actually sleep on your back (until the second trimester, at least) and breathe easier. If your spouse has a different sleep style and mattress need than you, consider Leggett and Platt’s adjustable bed frame for split comfort positions.
- Night sweats and morning sickness? Do these maladies sound familiar fellow moms? A mattress protector is a must-have sleep accessory during pregnancy, but also just for everyday living. Blocking allergens, irritants, liquids, and stains from your mattress with a protector like Protect-a-Bed’s Lux Living Premium Elite mattress protector will help keep your mattress clean, promote great hygiene and protect it if your water breaks unexpectedly. If you’re eyeing even more comfort and protection, the Ultimate Bamboo Quilted Waterproof mattress protector is protection with style!
Growing a baby sure made me feel like a superhero – and having the best mattress by my side (literally) every night, made my pregnancy journey the most memorable experience of my life.
For more of my go-to pregnancy sleep tips, and here’s six sleep accessories I couldn’t live without during my pregnancies. And, leave a comment below to share how you chose the best mattress for your pregnancy!
About The Author
Sunni Goodman As senior vice president of communications for Mattress Firm and mother to two beautiful children, Sunni Goodman is excited to share her favorite savings tips for parents and families on The Daily Doze. Mattress Firm is both literally and figuratively a family for Sunni, who works alongside her sister who recruited her to work for Mattress Firm in 2007. In addition to her love for chocolate and dancing, Sunni’s heart lies in sharing the Mattress Firm story and helping shoppers find new ways to stretch their budgets further. She provides strategic direction on Mattress Firm’s internal and external communications plans and lends her passion for serving her community to the Ticket to Dream Foundation, which supports the Mattress Firm Foster Kids program, and raises funds and awareness for pancreatic cancer. She is a proud alumna of Stephen F. Austin State University, where she was a setter for the Ladyjacks volleyball team. Sunni lives in Houston with her husband Jason, son Ruxin and daughter Remy.