How to Sleep While Traveling
Taking a trip this summer? In between seeing the sites and checking off your itinerary must-dos, it can be tough to stay rested while traveling.
Obviously, the best place to sleep is on a Mattress Firm mattress in a cool and dark room. ? But, we know that when you're going from place to place you may be resting in transit.
Whether you're heading out on the open road or flying high in the sky, The Daily Doze team has advice to help you grab sleep while you're on the go.
Bring Your Sleep Routine on the Road
One of the best ways to continue healthy sleep habits is to do your regular pre-bedtime routine wherever you are when it's time to go to bed. So, get comfortable and settle in.
- Try listening to soft music or drinking warm, low caffeinated tea.
- Think comfort over fashion by dressing in light and cozy pajamas.
- Don't underestimate the power of a proper sleep position by reclining your chair horizontally.
- Add a few drops of Chamomile or Lavender essential oils to a cloth or tissue and place it inside your travel pillow.
Tune Out Distractions for Better Rest
As you increase your frequent flyer miles, it's a good idea to create an environment conducive for sleeping.
- Keep any source of light out of your eyes by draping a blanket over nearby windows or bring a sleep mask for complete darkness.
- Use noise-canceling headphones or a pair of earplugs to make even the noisiest surroundings quiet and tranquil.
- Avoid neck aches by using a pillow, rolled-up towel or t-shirt as a place to rest your head.
- Remove clutter from your space for fewer distractions.
- Put your cell phone on mute and tuck it away in your bag to disconnect from flashing messages.
- Let the driver know you're going to nap on road trips to prevent loud music or chatter during your slumber.
Now that you've had a chance to rest in the car, always ask the driver if you can help with driving to give him a break. Being sleepy at wheel can pose major risks to passengers and other drivers on the road.
If you're traveling solo, add in extra travel time for sleep breaks and make note of potential rest stops on the map as well as safe, well-lit 24-hour parking lots.
Mattress Firm knows that finding time and a location to sleep while traveling can be a real struggle, but it's very important to refuel each night to feel energized and allow you to completely enjoy every moment of your trip away from home.