8 Budget-Friendly Ways to Have a Spa Day at Home
The summer season is filled with opportunities to treat yourself. Whether you are heading to the pool or a tropical getaway, there is a reason summer is everyone's favorite season. Mattress Firm knows those summer splurges (and their prices) can start to catch up with your bank account — making the otherwise-relaxing time feel like a ripoff.
Instead of worrying about your wallet, see below for some budget-friendly ideas on how to unwind while under your own roof. Turn your own home into a spa and give yourself the R&R you deserve. And since National Relaxation Day is Aug. 15, there has never been a better time to sit back, relax and enjoy some time at home.
Mattress Firm's Guide to a Perfect At-Home Spa Day
Set the Mood
Although you can't actually turn your house into a spa, there is no reason why it can't feel like one! There are several additions you can use that will make your home feel just as relaxing. (Who even likes indoor water features, anyway?)
1. Buying more plants and flowers for your home have been shown to improve your overall well-being. It can also reduce your heart rate and increase oxygen flow, making it easier to breathe — literally.
2. Also consider buying candles, oils and a diffuser to help get you in the relaxation mindset. Scents like lavender, jasmine and vanilla can help calm the body and help you feel more relaxed.
3. Lastly, don't forget one of the most important components: music! Any music you enjoy will lift your spirits, but classical music and instrumental songs have been proven to lower blood pressure and even decrease stress.
Treats and Eats
4. Getting pampered is bound to make you hungry, so why not treat yourself to something that will keep you relaxed? Green tea is the perfect spa day beverage. It contains L-theanine, which reduces stress and with some added honey, this sweet and simple tea will soon be your drink-of-choice.
5. Looking for something to munch on too? Mattress Firm recommends chocolate, a sneaky, stress-free snack that can deliver actual benefits! Studies show that even a small amount of dark chocolate a day can help you relax and de-stress after a long day. If you're still hungry, try eating a banana or any citrus fruit. A banana's potassium can help your body regular blood pressure, while vitamin C can diminish the effects of stress.
Spa Day Essentials
Before your at-home spa day, head out to your nearest drug store and stock-up on the essentials. For under $20, you can indulge yourself from head to toe. Just pick up a few of your favorites from below and you will be ready to rejuvenate.
6. Nothing says "I'm ready to relax" like a quality face mask and some cucumbers. Whether you want to try something trendy like charcoal, or stick to the basics, any face mask will leave your mind and body feeling refreshed.
7. While your mask is working its magic, run a bath and grab a book but an hour of "me" time. Enhance your bubble bath with bath salts or bombs to create even more of spa feel. Most feature a relaxing scent and add some extra flare to your basic bathtub.
8. Last but not least, give yourself a mini makeover. Pick out a fun color and paint your nails for a new look. So get ready to turn on your favorite TV show or movie and veg out as your nails dry.
This list is proof you don't have to leave your house to feel like you're in a spa. All you truly need to relax is a comfy place to rest and quiet space. So whether you're on vacation, or just home for your lunch break, anyone can transform their house into a place of rest and relaxation.