5 Tips to Cooler Sleep This Summer
Don’t look now, but summer heat is here! As temperatures start to soar, we want to make sure you are well equipped to battle the heat when you sleep. Whether it’s creating more airflow through your bedroom or finding the perfect sheets that keep you cool, these tips help keep you from sweating the bed.
Air circulation? Big fan.
Excuse the word play, but improving the airflow in your bedroom can do wonders for your sleep. It is both cooling and calming. Even better, invest in an air purifying fan.
Our tip? Become a fan of fans and sleep with one on in your room. Position it across your bed to create a cool, beach-like breeze that keeps your bedroom’s temperature down. As for the thermostat (look away, dads), we always recommend a temperature around 70 degrees Fahrenheit for an ideal slumber.
Go to the dark side…
While you sleep, that is. Sure, basking in the sunlight is great, but minimizing the sun’s rays in your bedroom is key. If the light is shining in by day, it can heat up your room, leaving it toasty still by the time you're ready to hop in bed.
Our tip? Invest in the right window treatment to keep the sun’s rays at bay. Shades, blinds or standard curtains are fine, but blackout curtains are the gold standard for keeping your bedroom both dark and cool, which can even save on energy bills during the hottest months of the year.
You say pajamas, we say cooling pajamas.
Sure, warm and fuzzy pajamas are comfy—in December. Don’t underestimate the power of your pajamas when you sleep.
Our tip? Wear lighter, airy fabric that’s more breathable. Cotton or linen would fall into this category. And just to be safe, moisture-wicking or sweat-reducing material, like activewear, can keep you even cooler. Or try sleeping naked.
How cool is your mattress?
Now that you’ve done everything around your bedroom and wardrobe to ensure a comfy night’s sleep, it’s time to investigate your mattress. Most modern mattresses are more cooling than their counterparts made with older technology. We have a ton of mattresses that infuse cooling technologies and even reduce heat as you sleep.
Our tip? Think about how often you wake up feeling hot overnight. Nobody likes to sweat as they sleep, so if you're feeling swampy, it may be time to bring in cooling relief. These are some of our favorites, and they range across all price points. Because if you’re ever going to invest in something, it should be something you spend a third of your life on, no?
- Nectar Premier Copper 14" Memory Foam Mattress – This foam mattress does not trap heat: It’s infused with copper fiber which attracts that excess heat, pulling it away from your body as you sleep. Copper is also naturally antimicrobial, which could be a bonus especially for those in humid climates or sleepers with allergies.
- Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-LuxeBreeze® Medium Hybrid 13" Mattress – Sleep up to 10 degrees cooler on this hybrid of one-of-a-kind Tempur-Pedic® Material and more than 1,300 premium innersprings. The innovative Pure Cool® Plus material absorbs heat and provides enhanced temperature regulation in addition to pressure relief.
- Serta iSeries® Hybrid 1000 12" Medium Mattress – This popular mattress has not one, but three cooling technologies. The iSeries Hybrid is topped with an exclusive Max Cold™ cover made with high-performance fibers that actually feel cool to the touch.
And top your bed off with coolness.
Finally, while it might seem counterintuitive to talk about what you’re covering up with and wrapping your bed in to keep cool, the mattress protector, pillows and sheets you use are important to ensure a cooler night’s sleep.
Our tip? Consider upgrading your bedding to decrease your temperature. The best options have looser weaves for breathability.
- Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-Breeze° Cooling Sheet Set – This cool-to-the-touch set is made with TENCEL Lyocell fibers combined with cooling nylon technology for easy, breezy nights.
- Sleepy's Supima® Cooling Cotton Sheet Set – These durable 600-thread-count Supima sheets are as soft as they are breathable, in 12 colors.
- Purple SoftStretch Sheet Set – Soft is in the name of these sheets for a reason. The moisture-wicking bamboo material is silky and baby-soft.
The wrong pillow can also be a furnace for your face. Upgrade to a cooling pillow for easy nights. After all, did you know that your pillow takes up 25% of the length of your bed?
Our tip? A pillow fitting can improve your sleep quality. Get one that suits your body type and sleep style.
- Sleepy's Charcoal Cool Pillow – Ideal for all styles of sleeper, this unique charcoal-infused pillow is designed to help draw heat, moisture, and odors away from your head.
- Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-Adapt® Pro + Cooling Pillow - As its name suggests, this cooling pillow reacts to your weight, sleep position and temperature to keep you as comfortable and cool as possible, all night long.
These tips can help you increase your quality sleep as the summer heat increases. In our opinion, sleeping is always cool. But sleeping cooler is, well… even cooler.