Do you know the reasons to replace your mattress? If you wake up each morning feeling tired, stiff and achy, it could be time to consider it.
As a general rule, mattresses — even high quality Mattress Firm mattresses — are designed to last between five and ten years. By planning ahead to “replace every eight,” you can avoid sleepless nights caused by a worn-out mattress and have ample time to budget and shop for the perfect replacement.
Why You Should Consider Replacing Your Mattress
Here are a few reasons why it makes sense to replace every eight:
- Your body has probably changed since you last bought a mattress. You may have gained a few pounds or sustained an injury that’s still susceptible to pressure. Updating your mattress to provide maximum support for your body as it is now will result in better sleep.
- Changes in your lifestyle may warrant the purchase of a new mattress. The one you’re sleeping on now might have belonged to your partner before you met and may not provide you with the support you need. If you share a bed, it’s important to find a mattress that suits both of you. If you now have more space available for a bigger bed, it’s wise to upgrade to the largest mattress you can afford.
- All sorts of unwelcome matter tends to collect on mattresses – dead skin cells, body fluids, dust mites, pollen and other allergens. In fact, the accumulation of all this matter may cause your mattress to nearly double in weight after ten years, according to a report by CBS News’ “The Early Show.” While laundering your linens and vacuuming your mattress regularly is recommended, these particles will still be present and may cause problems for people with allergies. We recommend that people who suffer from severe allergies replace their mattresses even more frequently.
- Morning aches and pains, stiffness, sore muscles, tingling or numbness in your extremities, and feeling groggy and fatigued despite a full night’s sleep are all signs of a worn-out mattress. Sleeplessness due to tossing and turning or shifting positions throughout the night is also an indication of a need to replace your mattress.
- Take time regularly to check your mattress for signs of age and wear. Look for lumps, sagging and indentations, all of which can contribute to uncomfortable sleep.
Don’t Ignore the Reasons to Replace Your Mattress
Because mattresses are a major expense in many family budgets, people tend to delay their purchase. But this type of thinking may be penny wise and pound foolish. During a study by Oklahoma State University professor Bert Jacobson, participants indicated they slept much better on new mattresses rather than on their own mattresses, all of which were five or more years old. Better sleep can lead to better health, and might result in fewer doctor visits and prescriptions.
While there are a few things you can do to keep from prematurely wearing out your mattress, such as not allowing your children to use it as a trampoline and rotating and turning it every few months, a mattress from Mattress Firm that is used daily will most likely still need to be replaced every eight years.
Older adults should consider replacing their mattresses even more often because the aging process causes bodies to become more sensitive to pressure. Many seniors have back and joint pain or other health problems that can be alleviated by sleeping on an updated mattress.
A poll conducted by the National Sleep Foundation found that more than 90% of people surveyed said a comfortable mattress is important for good sleep. Making it a priority to replace every eight will ensure you get quality sleep that contributes to good health and mental well-being. No more mattress complaints – Mattress Firm wants to help you sleep better tonight!
About The Author
The Daily Dozers The Daily Dozers are the mattress experts behind The Daily Doze, pooling their knowledge to bring you all that you need to know about what’s right under your head (literally). The Daily Dozers are team members who have been embedded in the mattress industry for years, whether that’s at one of our more than 3,000 neighborhood stores, or in our hometown of Houston at BedQuarters. These product experts can answer any question you might have about your bed. From ‘what size mattress do I need for my room?’ to ‘how do I know if I need an adjustable base?’ – there’s no topic too tired for The Daily Dozers. Even better? The Daily Dozers work together with The Savvy Savers to make sure you’re getting the bed you want, at a price you can’t find anywhere else.