Buying Guide: Couples
Sharing a bed with your significant other can be an intimate and fulfilling experience. Picking out a mattress, however is not so simple. Couples often have different sleep needs, so someone ends up sacrificing individual sleeping preferences and needs to make their partner happy.
But it shouldn't have to be that way. This mattress buying guide will help make the buying process easier as a couple — because we all deserve a great night's sleep.
What to Consider Before Buying a Mattress Together
Before Going in Store
- Be upfront about your sleeping needs. Everyone has different sleep preferences — like wanting a soft vs. firm mattress for example — and knowing each other's wants and needs ahead of time will help you narrow down your choices.
- Do your research. Spend some time together looking at what kind of mattresses are available. Do you both want a memory foam mattress or would you prefer a hybrid bed? Having an idea in mind of what you might want will help your Mattress Firm sleep expert match you to the perfect mattress.
- Create a list of mattress “must-haves" and “can-live-withouts." Going through this process together can help narrow down things that you both really want to have in the perfect mattress.
As You're Shopping
- Shop together. It's essential that you shop for a new mattress as a couple versus shopping separately and comparing finds. We encourage you to test out all the mattresses you're interested in at a store — as a couple — to make sure that both partners are comfortable and happy with their choice.
- Explore new options. Be open to testing new mattress types. Traditional innerspring mattresses may have been the only thing available when you last purchased a mattress, but today there's a variety of mattress types to suit every sleeper. Newer beds often feature motion control so your sleep partner doesn't disturb your slumber. You may also find you need a bigger bed — sharing a bed with a partner can be rather uncomfortable on a small mattress.
- Accessorize. Think about an adjustable base for your bed. If both partners cannot come to an agreement on the right mattress, an adjustable bed may solve your problem. Several king size adjustable bases allow you to adjust each side individually through a split design, allowing each partner to find their perfect sleep position. Don't forget to find the perfect pillow, sheets and mattress protector to top off your new bed.
- Compromise is key. This doesn't mean you need to sacrifice your sleep preferences; but rather, making sure that both of your sleeping needs are met with the mattress you purchase.
- A new mattress takes time to adjust to your body, so we recommend giving the mattress a minimum of 30 nights of rest to allow for the adjustment period.
- If your mattress isn't the perfect match, we can help you out. Our 120 night sleep trial ensures we match you to the the right mattress — if it's not the perfect fit, we'll happily pick it up and pair you with a new one.
You've met your perfect match in life, now head to Mattress Firm to find your perfect mattress match.